Saurav Ghoshal is a prominent Indian squash player. In April 2019, he became the first Indian squash player to achieve the 10th world ranking in squash. In 2022, he won a bronze medal in the singles event at the Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham and created history for India by winning the same.
Saurav Ghoshal was born on Sunday 10 August 1986.age 36 years; by 2022) in Kolkata, West Bengal. His zodiac sign is Leo. He completed his schooling at Lakshmipat Singhania Academy in Kolkata. At the age of eight, Saurav Ghoshal started practicing squash in his hometown and joined the Kolkata Racket Club for professional training. For further training in squash, he moved from Kolkata to Chennai to become part of the ICL Squash Academy in Chennai, where renowned Indian squash trainers Major (Retd) Maniam and Cyrus Poncha became his mentors. Later, Saurav Ghosal became part of the Pontefract Squash Club in West Yorkshire for professional training under coach Malcolm Willstrop.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx): 65 kg
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
parents and siblings
His father’s name is Prakash Ghoshal and he is the head of Kolkata Racket Club.
His mother’s name is Nupur Ghoshal.
wife and children
Sourav Ghoshal married Diya Pallikal on 3 February 2017.
Diya Pallikal is the sister of Indian squash player Dipika Pallikal, who is the wife of Indian cricketer Dinesh Karthik.
Saurav Ghosal won the German Open (under-17) title in May 2002. In June 2002 he won the Dutch Open title.
Saurav Ghosal participated in the British Junior Open Championship and won the Under-19 Squash title in 2004. After winning this event, he became the first Indian squash player to win the title. During the final of this match held in Sheffield, England, he defeated his opponent Adele El Said of Egypt. In 2006, he participated in the National Championship held in New Delhi and defeated his rival Gaurav Nandrajog to become the National Squash Champion. In the same year, he participated in the Asian Games held in Doha and won a bronze medal. In 2010, he was ranked 27th in the world rankings by the Professional Squash Association (PSA).
Saurav Ghosal became the first Indian squash player to reach the quarter-finals of the World Squash Championship in Manchester, England in 2013.
In 2014, he participated in the Asian Games held in Incheon and became the first Indian squash player to win a silver medal in the individual singles event by defeating his rival Abdullah Al-Mujayen from Kuwait. In 2015, he participated in the national tournament held in Kolkata and won the 35k PSA event.
In 2016, he participated in the South Asian Games and won a gold medal in the team event. In the same championship, he won a bronze medal in the singles event.
In 2018, he won the Vedanta Indian Open title at the national championship.
In December 2021, the Professional Squash Association (PSA) named Saurav Ghoshal as its president. In August 2022, he participated in the Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham, where he won the bronze medal in men’s squash singles by defeating his rival James Willstrop of England in straight sets in the third/4th playoff game. After winning this competition, he created history and became the first Indian squash player to win a medal in a singles event at the Commonwealth Games. He defeated his Sri Lankan rival Shamil Vakil 11-4, 11-4, 11-6 in the second round and David Balergon of Canada went down 11-6, 11-2 to Saurav Ghosal in the third round of the match. 11-6.
world doubles championship
- 2004: Silver medal in doubles at Chennai
- 2016: Silver medal at Darwin in mixed doubles
- 2022: Gold medal in mixed doubles in Glasgow
- 2018: Silver Medal at Gold Coast in Mixed Doubles
- 2022: Bronze medal in singles at Birmingham
- 2006: Bronze medal in singles in Doha
- 2014: Silver medal in singles at Incheon
- 2014: Team gold medal in Incheon
- 2010: Bronze medal in singles in Guangzhou
- 2010: team bronze medal in Guangzhou
- 2018: Bronze medal in singles in Jakarta
- 2018: Bronze medal in the team in Jakarta
South Asian Games
- 2016: Bronze medal for India in singles
Asian Individual Championships
- 2019: Gold medal in singles in Kuala Lumpur
Saurav Ghoshal was awarded the Arjuna Award in 2007 after winning a bronze medal at the 2006 Asian Games.
Saurav Ghoshal has a BMW car.
Facts / Trivia
- He follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- According to Saurav Ghosal, Indian squash academies in India such as the SRFI-run Indian Squash Academy (ISA) in Chennai lack top-level coaches. In 2018, he expressed in a media interview that aspiring Indian squash players lacked proper guidance in the game.
- Indian Guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar honored Saurav Ghoshal at the ‘Spirit of Sports’ event held at Bengal Rowing Club in 2019.
- According to Saurav Ghoshal, listening to music and watching movies are his favorite pastime activities.
- Soon after Saurav Ghoshal moved to England, he joined the Pontefract Squash and Leisure Club. Once, in a media interaction, Sourav Ghoshal expressed that it was the responsibility of a professional sportsperson to win medals for the country so that one could attract the attention of the common man for choosing such sports. he said,
I certainly hope so. It is our responsibility as sportspersons to win medals for the country and attract common people. That’s what we’re doing right now. I hope more people join the game and help take squash in India to the next level.
- Saurav Ghoshal often posts his pictures and videos on various social media platforms. More than 10 thousand people follow him on Instagram. He remains very active on Facebook. He is followed by more than 49k people on Twitter.
- According to Saurav Ghoshal, during his school and college days, his mother took care of his education while his father was more concerned about his sports. In an interview to a media house, Saurav Ghoshal told that his mother used to cook for him his favorite dishes like Mary Biscuit Chocolate Pudding Dessert and non-vegetarian dishes at home when he was young. he said,
Do I put it (content) now or later. She cooks bhindi very well. Then there are the fish, mutton and lamb cutlets. She’s very good at it.”
- Saurav Ghoshal is an avid dog lover. His pet dog is named Cooper. He often posts pictures of his pet on social media.