Sofia Ashraf is an Indian rapper, singer, songwriter, film producer and content producer. She is also an activist and is known for her songs for being careless about businesses and failing to address industrial accidents like “Don’t Work for Dow” released in 2008 and “Kodaikanal wont” released in 2015. criticizes.
Sofia Thenmozhi Ashraf was born in 1987.age 35 years; by 2020) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Sophia studied Islamic history and philosophy, being part of a Muslim youth group in Chennai. She holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Interior Design and Decor from Justice Bashir Ahmed Sayeed College for Women, Chennai. She stood first in the university. After completing her graduation in 2007, she earned a Master of Arts degree in Graphic Design from Stella Maris College, Chennai. Apart from being one of the topper students in the class, she used to actively participate in extra-curricular activities in the college.
Height (approx.): 5′ 2″
Weight (approx): 45 kg
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
Sophia belongs to a conservative Malayali Muslim family in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Sofia married Bilal Ansari on 7 May 2022.
relationships / affairs
Reportedly, Sofia and Bilal Ansari are dating each other since 2020. They met each other in 2020 during the pandemic caused by COVID19.
Sofia started rapping at the age of 18. She attended a college festival, where she rapped for songs she wrote for herself based on society’s behavior toward Muslims following the suicide terrorist attacks perpetrated by the Islamic extremist, al-Qaeda, against the United States in 2001. He later performed on stage wearing a hijab, which earned him the fame of “The Burqa Rapper”. His first performance was in Justice Rocks, an initiative that critiques corporate globalization and discrimination with the help of art and music.
In her 2008 song “Don’t Work for Dow”, she denounces Dow, a multinational chemical corporation, for not being able to provide compensation to the victims of the 1984 Bhopal gas tragedy. She became popular for her song “Kodaikanal wont” released in 2015. In the song’s music video, she highlights and criticizes mercury pollution in Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu from a thermometer factory owned by Unilever, a multinational consumer goods company. The song was set to the music of Nicki Minaj’s song “Anaconda”. This video has got more than 4 million views on YouTube. Highlighting the issue with the help of songs, the company compensated 591 former employees.
In June 2016, he released “Dow vs Bhopal: A Toxic Rap Battle”. On the YouTube channel “Blush”, she had a series called “Siesta from the South”, under which she released the song “Any good news” in 2016. In the same year, he released the song “Tama-Brahma”. In 2017, she came up with a song titled “I Can’t Do Sexy”. She released several music and comedy videos showcasing social issues and problems faced by women.
He wrote and rapped the popular song “Jiya Re” from the 2012 film “Jab Tak Hai Jaan”. He has also written songs for Kollywood movies like “Marion” (2013) and “Inimi Ippadithan” (2015). In “Inimi Ippadithan”, he rapped and wrote the song “Athana Azagayum”.
In 2020, she rapped in the song “Gimme Your Banana”, which is the title track of the short film Miyan “Biwi Aur Banana”. The song was released to promote Saathi Pads, which are 100% biodegradable and made from banana fiber, to celebrate International Women’s Day.
In 2015, he released the song “Deen” in collaboration with Malavika Manoj, who is a singer and lyricist. The track’s music video surfaced in 2020 as a part of a project titled ‘Caffenol 7266’. In 2020, G Logan and Sophia collaborated with each other and released the song “Let Chennai Breathe” to ask the Health Minister to clean up Chennai’s polluted air.
director and producer
In 2016, he started working as a Consultant Producer in Culture Machine Media Pvt Ltd. Ltd. The media company has a YouTube, “Blush”, under which it started a series titled “Sista From The South”. She made music and comedy videos based on the identities of modern Indian women. He wrote, produced, acted, rapped, designed, directed and edited his own series. He has written and directed for actors like Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Kalki Koechlin, Taapsee Pannu, Shruti Hassan, Richa Chadhaeven more.
Awards and nominations
- Won the Young Creative Person of the Year title at Heroes of Ogilvy India in 2013
- Finalist for Young Achiever of the Year – South Asia by South Asia at Agency of the Year Awards 2014
- Won Best Script Award at Bilbao International Animation Community Festival in 2017
- Song: “Beirut” by Ibrahim Malouf
- Destination(s): Pushkar, Tokyo
Facts / Trivia
- Sofia is also known as “The Burkha Rapper”.
- In an interview, when asked if she wanted to be anything other than a rapper and writer, she replied,
I wanted to be a lot of things, and had the privilege and good fortune to try them too. From dubbing for anime to writing greeting cards. Event Management, PR, Designing, Editing, Cookery Show, Theatre, Dance, Teaching. I get into so many business turmoils, I’ve got my gills. In this smorgasbord of career, one profession that has always called me was filmmaking. I dream of becoming a director one day, and who knows, I might get there. ,
- He is fluent in English and French. She can speak Malayalam, Tamil and Hindi at a conversational level.
- She loves sketching and regularly posts pictures of her paintings on social media.
- In an interview, talking about whether she wants to retire from work or keep working as long as she can, she said,
I lived day to day, project-to-project. I did three things at once. I never even took a Sunday off and worked every Eid and national holiday. Then I turned 30 and my body decided to take a long-pending illness-recess. I broke down physically and emotionally. I used to be someone who over-romanticized the hustle. Now, I value comfort. I would like to retire someday, but I hope to continue writing forever.
- Sofia has a different style while rapping. Unlike other rappers who talk about parties and alcohol, their songs spread awareness about health and the environment. Talking about this he said,
Rap Daru, Bottle, Ladki – etiquette has become synonymous with the Delhi rap scene. Honey Singh actually started rapping about Bhagat Singh. But the audience refused to accept it. So these people started writing about alcohol and women. But with the popularity of “Kodaikanal Nahi Hoga”, I think audiences have started to accept that rap doesn’t have to be just an anti-feminist medium. I hope the entertainment industry will also take note of this and realize that rap does not need to be branded as an art form today. It can be traced back to its original roots where rap was a medium of rebellion.
- In 2007, he started working as a copywriter and junior copywriter at ITC Limited and Convex Studios respectively. He also served as a creative consultant at Exodus Events for five months in 2009.
- In 2009, he worked as a voice-over artist on the Nickelodeon show “Ninja Hattori” and voiced the character of Yumeko.
- From February 2009, he worked in The Times of India as a freelance journalist for a year and two months.
- In 2013, he worked as a screenwriter for 9th Step Entertainment. He wrote two scripts in English, adopting two musical steps called Aladdin and Sister Act.
- He worked as a creative supervisor at Ogilvy & Mather for 5 years (2010 to 2015). She coached and supervised juniors and had production roles such as sourcing directors, composers, voices, actors and performers, coordinating with studio and final supervision, performing voiceovers and writing songs.
- He worked as a musician and project manager AR Rahmani for 8 years. He did songwriting, rapping, video editing, social media, costume designing, stage design and project management.
- In 2018, he started working as a creative consultant in JANRISE ADVERTISING PVT. Ltd. His job role was to upscale and build strategy for brands such as Continental Coffee, Ratnadeep Supermarket and Birla Shakti Cement.
- In 2020, he held the position of Creative Director at The Rabbit Hole in Mumbai for over a year. In this company, he directed 120 videos in a span of 20 months. She designed, conceptualized and distributed content videos for brands such as Netflix and Tinder. His job profile included roles such as creative strategist, writer, video director and creative leadership.