Shrikant Kidambi is an Indian badminton player. He is associated with Gopichand Badminton Academy in Hyderabad for professional training. In April 2018, he was ranked world No. 1 in the BWF rankings. He is a recipient of Padma Shri and Arjuna Awards. In 2021, Srikant Kidambi won a silver medal in the World Championship final in men’s singles event and became the first Indian badminton player to win it.
Srikanth Kidambi was born as Srikanth Nammalwar Kidambi on Sunday, 7 February 1993.age 29 years; by 2022) in Ravulapalem, Andhra Pradesh, India. His zodiac sign is Aquarius.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Weight (approx): 73 kg
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
Body Measurements (Approx):- Chest: 38 inches, Waist: 30 inches, Biceps: 13 inches
parents and siblings
His father’s name is Kittu Kidambi and he is a landlord. His mother’s name is Radha and she is a housewife.
Srikant Kidambi has an elder brother named Nandgopal Kidambi who is a badminton player and an auditor in the Indian Audit and Accounts Department.
His cousin, Ruthvika Shivani, is an Indian badminton player.
Shrikant Kidambi is not married.
In 2011, Srikant Kidambi participated in the Commonwealth Youth Games and won a bronze medal in men’s doubles and a silver medal in mixed doubles. In the same year, he participated in the All India Junior International Badminton Championship held in Pune and won the singles and doubles category titles. In 2012, Srikanth Kidambi defeated his Malaysian rival Zulfadali Zulkifli to win the men’s singles title at the Maldives International Challenge. In 2013, he participated in the Thailand Open Grand Prix Gold event and won the men’s singles title. In the same year, he participated in the All India Senior National Championships in Delhi and defeated his rival Parupalli Kashyap to win his first senior national title. In 2014, Srikanth Kidambi participated in the China Open Super Series Premiere and defeated 5-time world champion and 2-time Olympic champion Lin Dan in straight games. After winning the event, he became the first Indian to win the Super Series Premier men’s title. In 2015, Srikanth Kidambi competed in the Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold defeating his rival Viktor Axelsen and became the first Indian badminton player to win a gold medal in these events. By winning this event, he became the winner of the India Open Super Series title.
In 2016, Srikant Kidambi participated in the Syed Modi International Badminton Championships Grand Prix Gold title and defeated his rival Huang Yuxiang to win the title.
In the same year, Srikant Kidambi won two gold medals in the men’s team and men’s singles at the South Asian Games by defeating his rival Pranay Kumar in the singles final. In 2016, he competed in the Rio Olympics and defeated his opponents Lino Muoz and Henri Hersken to enter the men’s singles round of 16. In 2017, Srikanth Kidambi became the first Indian badminton player to win the Indonesia Super Series by defeating his rival Kazumasa Sakai of Japan 21-11, 21-19.
In the same year, Srikanth Kidambi defeated Lee Hyun-il of Korea to win the Super Series Championship held in Denmark. In 2018, he participated in the Commonwealth Games held in Gold Coast and won gold in mixed team event and silver medal in singles event. After winning this event, he was ranked number one in the world rankings. In 2018, Srikant Kidambi participated in the South Asian Games and won a gold medal in the team event. In 2022, he featured in the Indian men’s team for the Thomas Cup and during the final event, the Indian team defeated Indonesia 3–0.
Awards, Honors, Achievements
In 2014, Srikant Kidambi became the first Indian badminton player to win the “China Open Super Series Premier”. In 2015, he became the first Indian to win a gold medal in the “Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold”. In the same year, he was awarded the Arjuna Award. On 18 June 2017, he competed in the Indonesia Open Super Series Premier title by defeating Sakai of Japan. In April 2018, Srikant Kidambi achieved the top men’s singles ranking in badminton with 76895 points. In 2018, he was honored with the Padma Shri award by the President of India.
Facts / Trivia
- In 2013, Srikanth Kidambi joined the Awadh Warriors team, which finished second in the Indian Badminton League.
- In 2017, Srikanth Kidambi along with his teammate Sai Praneeth created history when they became the first Indian pair to enter the finals of an international ranking event in badminton during the Singapore Super Series title.
- In 2017 Shrikant Kidambi was awarded the Thar car by the owner of Mahindra Company.
- On 19 December 2021, Srikant Kidambi became the first Indian badminton player to reach the finals of the World Championships held in Huelva and created history for India.
- Shrikant Kidambi is a kind animal lover. He has a pet dog. He often shares pictures of his pet dog on social media.
- According to Srikanth, watching his elder brother play as a child inspired him to take up badminton as a sport. He considers former Indian badminton player Pullela Gopichand as his idol.
- Shrikant Kidambi is quite active on various social media platforms. He is followed by more than 167k people on Instagram. His Facebook page is followed by more than 250k people. He often shares pictures and videos on social media.
- Shrikant Kidambi practices yoga and meditation regularly.