Tania Sachdev is a famous Indian chess player. She holds the FIDE titles of International Master (IM) and Woman Grandmaster (WGM). In 2006 and 2007, she became the women’s chess champion of India. She won the title of ‘Asian Women’s Chess Champion’ in 2007. In 2016, 2018, and 2019, she won the Commonwealth Women’s Chess Champion title. Apart from being a chess player, she also works as a chess presenter and commentator.
Tania Sachdev was born on Wednesday 20 August 1986.age 36 years; by 2022) in Delhi, India. His zodiac sign is Leo. He completed his schooling at Modern School, Vasant Vihar, Delhi. Soon after completing his schooling, he joined Sri Venkateswara College, Delhi to pursue a bachelor’s degree. At the age of six, Tania Sachdev started practicing chess, which was introduced by her mother Anju Sachdeva, who played badminton at the state level during her college days. Her parents enrolled her to take up professional training at the age of six under the guidance of chess coach KC Joshi. Tania Sachdev won her first international title when she was eight years old. According to Tania, she used to understand the rules of chess early in her childhood. Talking to the media, Tania told that she defeated her father in a game after two days of practice. He said,
I learned the rules, and two or three days later, I asked my dad for a game and beat him. Since then, my parents have always been supportive, and they inspired me to pursue professional training. ,
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx): 55 kg
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
Figure Measurements (Approximately): 38-24-38
parents and siblings
His father’s name is Pammi Sachdev and he is a businessman.
His mother’s name is Anju Sachdeva and she is a housewife.
Tania Sachdev has a brother who is a professional golfer. He also has a sister named Amrita Sachdev.
husband and children
On 4 November 2014, Tania Sachdev married Viraj Kataria, and she is an architect based in Delhi.
relationships / affairs
Tania Sachdev was in a two-year relationship with Viraj Kataria before getting married in 2014.
Immediately after participating in the Chess Championship in Tania Sachdev’s childhood, securing the Under-12 Indian Championship was her first win. In 2000, she became the Asian U14 Girls’ Champion. In 1998, she participated in the World Youth Chess Championship in the Girls U12 Division and won a bronze medal. In 2002, Tania Sachdev participated in the Asian Junior Girls Championship in Maravilla and won the same.
In 2005, Tania Sachdev became the eighth Indian player to win the title of Woman Grandmaster. She won India’s National Women’s Premier Chess Championship in 2006 and 2007. In 2009 and 2011, she began participating in the Women’s World Team Chess Championship. In 2003, she began participating in the Women’s Asian Team Chess Championship. He started participating in Asian Games in 2006 and Asian Indoor Games in 2009. In 2008, Tania Sachdev began competing in the Indian national team at the Women’s Chess Olympiad. She participated in the 2012 Women’s Chess Olympiad in Istanbul and won a bronze medal in the individual chess event. During this Olympiad, Tania Sachdev won four silver medals in the years 2008, 2009, 2012 and 2014. She participated in the Asian Continental Women’s Rapid Chess Championship in 2015 and won a silver medal.
Tania Sachdev won the best woman award at the 2016 Reykjavik Open. In 2016, she won the Commonwealth Women’s Champion title in Kalutara, Sri Lanka.
Tania Sachdev was selected as the Commonwealth Women’s Chess Champion in 2018.
Tania Sachdev participated in the Commonwealth Women’s Championship held at The Leela Ambience Convention Hotel, India in 2019 and won the same. She participated in the 2021 FIDE Women’s World Senior Team Chess Championship and won a silver medal with her team in Acqui Terme, Italy.
On 10 August 2022, Tania Sachdev along with her three teammates participated in an Olympiad held in Tamil Nadu, India and created history by winning the first ever bronze medal for India in the women’s team.
Awards, Honors, Achievements
- 2008: Women’s Chess Olympiad
- 2009 and 2011: Women’s World Team Chess Championship
- 2003: Women’s Team Chess Championship
- 2009: Asian Indoor Games and Arjuna Award
Facts / Trivia
- Major Indian live sports events and championships often hire Tania Sachdev to host their national television shows.
- In 2013, a World Championship chess match was held between Magnus Carlsen and Viswanathan Anand, and Tania Sachdev was selected as a member of the official commentary team for the match.
- Many leading Indian magazines and newspapers often feature Tania Sachdev on their cover page.
- Tania Sachdev has provided the Fritztrainer Strategy DVD for Chessbase India.
- In her free time, Tania Sachdev often attempts official modeling shoots. Reportedly, she is a professional classical dancer and often adds glamor to her game and prefers to be called a hot chess player. Tania Sachdev is often praised for her great fashion sense. In a media interaction, he told that he likes to be known for his achievements in chess. He said,
Although I want to be known for my achievements in the game, I don’t mind if someone calls me a hot chess player.
- The Wings for Life World Run event was organized by Red Bull Company in 2015. He participated in this marathon as a celebrity to promote the brand.
- Tania Sachdev’s various chess events and championships are often sponsored by Red Bull, a soft drink company in India. She often endorses the drink on social media.
- Tania Sachdev likes to travel in her free time. During foreign trips, she often discovers the local cuisine and culture. According to him, reading books and shopping are his favorite pastime activities.
- Tania Sachdev is frequently invited by many public speaking platforms to deliver motivational and career-oriented speeches as a guest speaker.
- Once Tania Sachdev had mentioned in a conversation with the media that playing chess has always been attractive to her. He said in the same discussion that other aspects of a person’s personality can also be uncovered through the logical thinking process while playing chess. He said,
Chess has always been very fascinating to me. I think when you play chess it opens up many other aspects of your personality that nobody knows about. The logical thought process is so comparable when handling a situation in chess and a complex situation in real life. ,
- Tania Sachdev is a dog lover. His pet dog’s name is Buddy Sachdev. She often posts pictures of her pet dog on social media.
- Tania Sachdev often shares her pictures and videos on various social media platforms. His Instagram handle is followed by more than 154k people. His Facebook page is liked by more than 122k people. She has more than 89.1k YouTube subscribers.
- Many famous television shows often invite Tania Sachdev to their programs as a celebrity guest.