Marital Status: Unmarried
Age: 23 Years
Some lesser known facts about Tulika Mann
- Tulika Mann is an Indian judoka, best known for winning a silver medal in the 78 kg category at the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
- Paintbrush had no interest in studies and when she was in class X, she told her mother that she wanted to pursue a career in Judo. He talked about this in an interview and said,
Actually, I am not very good in my studies. After finishing my 10th standard, I told my mother that I do not want to continue further studies as I have big plans in sports. More years have passed and my college (DDU Gorakhpur University) supports me a lot.”
- Tulika was raised by her mother, a single parent, who worked as a constable at a police station in Rajouri Garden, New Delhi, after her father was murdered. Her mother used to travel twenty kilometers to drop Tulika to school by scooty and later went to her police station.
- In an interview, her mother said that Tulika would spend most of her time with her at the police station as there was no one to look after her at home. Later, his mother admitted him to a judo club so that he could spend some of his time there. In an interview, her mother said that when she joined the club, it was a pass time activity but later, Tulika started taking it seriously.
- Her mother spent all her pension money and took some loan to spend on her daughter’s training. In an interview, she talked about her efforts and said,
If I earned Rs 10, I spent Rs 40 on his training and other necessities. I have taken 3-4 personal loans, and have withdrawn money from my pension fund… I did what she wanted. Zindagi ki kami laga di (Put in my life’s earnings).”
- According to Tulika’s mother, it was a tomb since childhood. Her mother said that when she wore skirts to her school, she looked very different. In an interview he talked about paintbrush and said,
The paintbrush was the tomb from the beginning. She always played football with the boys. When she wore a skirt to school, neighbors remarked: ‘Look how Ganga (Tulika’s nickname) is wearing a skirt.’ It was funny to him. It was weird for me too. I would say to her: ‘Seeing you in a skirt is like looking at a bagpiper (a bottle of whiskey) in a car. It doesn’t look right.’ But judo, that’s where he felt he belonged. Every evening when I came home from work to pick her up, they would say what a good judo player she was.
- After training for some time in Delhi, he joined the Sports Authority of India Center in Bhopal in 2016.
- Tulika was not named in the preliminary squad for the Commonwealth Games 2022 and no explanation was given to her by the Judo Federation of India. She wrote an e-mail to the federation, saying that if the 78kg category was not added to the Games, she would leave judo forever. Later this category was added to the event. In the e-mail he wrote,
Please add my weight category +78kg to the above selection, otherwise I have no other option but to leave Judo forever due to JFI’s wrong management and selection criteria.
- After winning the silver medal when the Prime Minister Narendra Modi Congratulating her, she took to social media and said,
I am not happy with my performance but nothing can be done now. I want to thank PM Narendra Modi for his help as he started Khelo India scheme. I dedicate this medal to my mother and coach.