Hometown: Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Education: Master of Performing Arts
Some lesser known facts about Utsav Sarkar
- Utsav Sarkar is an Indian actor, screenwriter, producer, director, editor and story writer, who primarily conceptualizes and creates content for Hindi web series and YouTube videos.
- The festival was nurtured by his mother.
- From his school days, Utsav took an active part in school plays and drama competitions, as he was always eager to perform on stage. While in college, Utsav acted in several theatrical productions such as The Glass Menagerie, Baanjh, Kharia Ka Ghera, The Two of Us, A Dolls House and Dhik Tam.
- In October 2017, the festival was featured in the Kya Phone Itna Zurata Hai video? On YouTube, which was conceptualized and written by him.
- Chuski, a short film directed by Utsav, won the Best Short Film Certificate at the Calcutta International Cult Film Festival in 2018.
- In July 2018, Utsav was one of the students who were awarded the National Scholarship in the field of Theater by the Ministry of Culture.
- In June 2019, Utsav Sarkar appeared in an advertisement for the Hero Bangladesh brand.
- After completing his post graduation, Utsav worked as a screenwriter for various production houses in Mumbai. In February 2020, he worked as an assistant screenwriter at Prakash Jha Productions Pvt Ltd in Mumbai, and he worked there for about four months until May 2020. Later, he joined Buddybits in Mumbai, and worked there as a creative producer and screenwriter. In December 2020, he joined Third Bell Productions in Mumbai as an approved writer.
- In December 2021, Utsav appeared in the Hindi short film My Last Vlog in which he played the role of Nawab Malik on YouTube, and was also the director, producer, writer and editor of the film.
- In February 2021, the festival appeared as Govt. Struggling poet Shayantan Roy, In the web series The Lineup on Youtube. The concept of the series was written by him. In an interview, when asked about his role in the web series The Lineup, and how it was related to his own life, Utsav said,
Shayantan is an aspiring poet who craves fame and everything that goes with it, but is stuck in a 9 to 5 job to feed his family. He is a bisexual who keeps things to himself and talks only in poetry. I relate to them in the sense that the things we are most passionate about can’t always bring us a livelihood and sometimes we have to do things we don’t like. However, Shayantan’s struggles are tougher than mine as I am lucky enough to live what I love. He doesn’t have the freedom to do that, and that’s where he gets angry.”
- Utsav has a YouTube channel Flush Off, where he posts funny videos on related topics, which are acted, directed and written by him. The celebratory video ‘Akela hoon, khush hoon’ uploaded on YouTube channel Buddybits on 20 September 2018 has garnered over 2.6 million views.
- Utsav has a pet dog, Posto.
- Utsav has worked under the guidance of some well known directors/screenwriters like Sai Paranjpe. Prakash Jha, Nadira Babbriand Sanjay Upadhyay.
- In an interview, Utsav revealed that initially, he wanted to act in plays, but later shifted his interest to screenwriting. he said,
“I wasn’t cast for a role in a play I wanted so badly. I worked hard, prepared myself for months, but I didn’t get it. I took it hard. Self-doubt kicked in. Gaya. To cope, I started writing. Plays, screenplays, whatever came to mind. At the time, I just wanted to feel better about myself. One of the short films I wrote during this time was a company I had bought it for a good amount. And that’s where my luck looked up and smiled. In a way, my entry into screenwriting started out of rejection.
- In January 2022, Utsav Sarkar’s play, The Two of Us, was uploaded to YouTube in which he played the role of Nikhil.
- In June 2022, My Last Vlog, a short film directed and written by Utsav, won the Best Mobile Film award at the Maharashtra Times Short Film Festival.