Vijay Babu is an Indian actor, film producer and businessman who works in the Malayalam film industry. He is best known for playing the role of Padmachandran aka Pappan in the Malayalam film Phillips and the Monkey Pain (2013). He is also known for producing the Malayalam films Phillips and the Monkey Pain (2013), Peruchazhi (2014), and Aadu (2015).
Vijay Babu was born on Friday, 14 May 1976.age 46 years; by 2022) in Kollam, Kerala. His zodiac sign is Taurus.
He did his schooling from St. Jude High School, Mukhtala, Kollam, Kerala. Thereafter, he attended Bangalore University to pursue BBM. Later, he did his MBA from The American College, Madurai.
He was inclined towards acting at a very young age. While in school, he actively participated in plays.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: brown
parents and siblings
Vijay Babu is the son of Subhash Chandra Babu and Maya Babu. His father died in 2021. He has a brother named Vinay Babu and a sister named Vijayalakshmi (Bindu).
wife and children
Vijay Babu is married to Smita, who owns a hospital named Invivo in Kerala. Smita earlier worked in an MNC in Dubai. The couple has a son, Bharat.
Vijay Babu started his media career with Star India in Mumbai. While working there, he earned the title of ‘Best Employee of Star TV’ in 2002. He worked there for some time and then moved to Dubai, where he established his business. After a few years, Vijay returned to India and started working as COO at Asianet and Sitara TV in Hyderabad. In 2009, he moved to Kerala and became the Vice President of Surya TV.
In 2013, Vijay quit his media career and started working as an actor and producer in the Malayalam film industry. As an actor, he has appeared in many popular Malayalam films such as “Phillips and the Monkey Pain,” (2013), “Mr. Cheating” (2014), “Peruchazhi” (2014), “Double Barrel” (2015), “Nee -Na” (2015), and “Crossroads” (2017). He became a household name after playing the role of ‘Sarbath Shamir’ in the Aadu film series.
In 2013, Vijay founded a Malayalam film production company titled ‘Friday Film House’ with Sandra Thomas. Although the company was founded after the success of the Malayalam film ‘Friday’ (2012; produced by Sandra Thomas), the film is considered to be the first production of her venture ‘Friday Film House’.
Vijay made his debut as a film producer with the Malayalam film “Jakariyayude Garbhanikal” (2013). Thereafter, he starred in films such as “Phillips and the Monkey Pain” (2013), “Peruchazhi” (2014), “Aadu Oru Bhigara Jeeva Aanu” (2015), “Aadu 2” (2017), and “Thrissur Pooram” (2019). produced films. ,
Apart from acting and producing films, Vijay has also appeared in TV commercials for brands like Tallins Foods and RG Foods.
sexual abuse allegations
A case of sexual harassment was filed against Vijay Babu by a female actor at the Ernakulam South Police Station on 26 April 2022. In the complaint, she alleged that Vijay sexually assaulted her several times in a flat in Kochi on the pretext of giving her roles in films. Reportedly, Vijay went into hiding soon after the news spread. Subsequently, another case was registered against Vijay for disclosing the identity of the complainant through Facebook. Later, Vijay moved the Kerala High Court for anticipatory bail in the rape case. In the anticipatory bail plea, he alleged that the actor who had filed the complaint against him was trying to blackmail him. He approached her to explore opportunities in films. He also alleged that even after their collaboration ended, she kept in touch and eventually became close to him despite knowing that she was married and had a family. He also said that he was ready to present the messages and photographs which were exchanged by the two, however, the Kerala High Court refused to accept his plea. Later another woman accused Vijay of harassment. She claimed that Vijay tried to kiss her even though they had barely known each other for 20-30 minutes during a work-related meeting. She said that this incident shook her and because of this she stayed away from the film industry. He said,
He was drinking and he offered me too. I declined and continued working. Suddenly, he leaned down to kiss me on my lips without question, without consent. Luckily, my reflex action was very quick and I just pulled myself back and kept my distance. I looked at his face, and then he asked me: just a kiss?
Due to the controversy, Vijay resigned from the executive committee of the Association of Malayalam Movie Artists (AMMA) stating that he would stay away from the executive committee of the organization until he was acquitted of sexual harassment to save the association. is not proved. By ‘disgrace’. He sent an official letter to Amma in which she wrote,
Vijay Babu has sent a letter saying that he does not want to insult the organization of which he is a member of the executive committee amid the allegations against him. He will remain away from the executive committee until his innocence is proved. His letter (request) was discussed by AMMA and it has been accepted.
- Kerala State Film Award for Best Children’s Film for the film Phillips and the Monkey Pain (2014)
- Flower TV Award for Most Popular Film for his film ‘Aadu 2’ (2018)
- Mahindra XUV 500
- Mahindra Tharo
- Toyota Vellfire
Vijay’s net worth is estimated to be Rs. 7. 6 crores (by 2021).
Facts / Trivia
- Vijay Babu enjoys traveling and playing football in his spare time.
- She loves to cook and has participated in many cooking competitions.
- Vijay follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- He is often seen drinking alcohol on several occasions.
- Vijay is an avid animal lover. He has a pet dog named COCO and a macaw named Ryo.
- Vijay is fluent in four languages- English, Sanskrit, Malayalam and Hindi.
- He is a fitness enthusiast and visits the gym daily.
- In 2020, he became the first producer in the Malayalam film industry to opt for a direct-to-OTT release with his film Sufiyam Sujatayam. The film was released on Amazon Prime Video.
- He is known for funding several experimental films in the Malayalam film industry. Vijay also supports budding filmmakers in the Malayalam film industry.
- During an interview, Vijay told that he had gone to see the shooting of a film for the first time at the age of 5.
- In a conversation with a media person, Vijay Babu revealed that his father and actor Jayan were classmates and family friends. He further said that his father was deeply hurt after Jayan’s demise and decided to make a film named ‘Suryan’ in his memory. Vijay was seen as a child artist in the film. The film was a huge loss and caused financial stress to his father.
- Vijay’s father owned a lodge called Mookambika in Kollam and most of the celebrities stayed in his father’s lodge whenever he was in Kollam (due to his father’s cinematic connections).
- Initially, Vijay’s parents were not happy with his decision to make acting a career. In an interview, Vijay revealed that when he decided to study at the Pune Film Institute, his mother asked him to first pursue a degree in business and then take a course in acting.