Vijay Deverakonda is an Indian actor and film producer, who has mainly worked in Telugu films. In 2022, he made his Bollywood debut with the Hindi-Telugu film ‘Liger’ with Ananya Pandey in the female lead.
Deverakonda Vijay Sai was born on Tuesday, 9 May 1989 (age 33 years; as of 2022) in Achampet, Telangana. His ancestors hail from Village Thummanpeta, Balmoor Mandal of Mahbubnagar District, Telangana. His zodiac sign is Taurus. He did his schooling at Sri Sathya Sai Higher Secondary School up to class 10 in Puttaparthi, Andhra Pradesh. He then attended Little Flower Junior College, Hyderabad.
He pursued his graduation in commerce from Badruka College of Commerce and Arts, Hyderabad.
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Brown
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest 42″, Waist 30″, Biceps 19″
Vijay belongs to a Hindu family.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Deverakonda Govardhana Rao, worked as a television serial director. His mother, Deverakonda Madhavi, works as a soft skill & personality developer trainer. Vijay has a younger brother named Anand Deverakonda, who is an actor too.
In 2018, he was rumoured to be in a relationship with a girl named Virgine, who hails from Belgium. According to the sources, she had a few seconds scene in the Telugu film ‘Pelli Choopulu’ (2016) starring Vijay Deverakonda. Later, in a press conference, Vijay said that he was single.
In 2019, there were rumours that Vijay was dating the Brazilian model-turned-actress Izabelle Leite, who is the ex-girlfriend of the Indian cricketer Virat Kohli.
In 2022, the rumours of Vijay dating the Indian actress Rashmika Mandanna spread like fire. The duo was often spotted together holidaying in Goa.
In 2011, Vijay made his debut as an actor in the Telugu film ‘Nuvvila’ in which he played the role of Vishnu.
A year later, he acted in the Telugu film ‘Life Is Beautiful.’ Both his films failed to do well at the box office. After almost three years, he appeared in the 2015 Telugu film ‘Yevade Subramanyam.’ In 2016, he played the male lead in the Telugu film ‘Pelli Choopulu,’ and this film gave a kickstart to his acting career.
In 2017, Vijay appeared in the Telugu films ‘Dwaraka’ and ‘Arjun Reddy.’ Vijay gained immense popularity with these films.
Vijay has acted in many Telugu films like ‘Geetha Govindam’ (2018), ‘Taxiwaala’ (2018), ‘Dear Comrade’ (2019), and ‘World Famous Lover’ (2020).
Vijay made his Tamil debut with the film ‘NOTA’ (2018) in which he played the role of Varun Subramanyam.
In 2022, he made his Bollywood debut with the Hindi-Telugu film ‘Liger.’
Vijay owns a film production house named King of the Hill Entertainment. Under his banner, he released the Telugu film ‘Meeku Maathrame Cheptha’ in 2019.
In 2016, he directed a Telugu short film titled ‘Madam Meerena.’ He has worked as a presenter in the Telugu film ‘Pushpaka Vimanam’ (2022).
Comment on Savitri
In April 2018, he was trolled for posting the picture of the veteran Indian actress Savitri with the caption “What a cool chick.” The caption was not well received by the netizens, and they demanded an apology from him. However, he denied apologising and said that why people were silent when Mahanti was called a home breaker. Vijay tweeted,
All who want an apology – chennai Leela Palace lo unna ocheyandi. I will even be giving you #Mahanati audio launch entries. She would have been happy to have you all back then – because appudu me lanti morals and ethics batch called her a home breaker and alcoholic. She was many things fearless, philanthropic, generous, but at her core she was like anyone else a girl with dreams first, a woman who loved & wanted to be loved next and a superstar last. I think she would have been super happy to be called in admiration “what a cool chick” ☺ compared to home wrecker and alcoholic.”
In an interview, while talking about the same, he said,
If someone’s understanding of it is so crude, then it’s none of my problem. As I understand it, people have opinions, people have intentions. I let it be for the most part. But I don’t like being told how I should say stuff, how I should do stuff. You pass your opinions on me. I am fully okay with that. But don’t dictate to me what I should or shouldn’t do.”
In 2018, he landed into controversy for the song ‘What The F’ in the Telugu film ‘Geetha Govindam.’ Vijay and the makers of the film then decided to withdraw the song from YouTube. During an interview, while talking about the song, Vijay said,
I don’t think we meant to hurt anyone’s sentiments. It was just meant to be a fun song, and not meant to make any statement. The song is not vital to the film. We could change the lyrics. As for the song, I didn’t think we were hurting any sentiments. If people haven’t digested it, we have no qualms about taking it down. We will replace it with another song. It is a bit convenient. But right now that’s how things are. And both my producers and I felt it is better not to hurt anyone’s sentiments right now. Sadly this was my first attempt at singing on screen and undertaken because my production house and my director were insistent. I just decided to do it for kicks. If I am a singer at all, this is the best I could do. I know I have a limited range. And unless I take singing lessons, I doubt I can do better than this.”
Trolled for his Behaviour at Press Conference
In 2022, during a press conference on the Hindi-Telugu film ‘Liger’ in Hyderabad, one of the journalists told Vijay that he was not able to talk to him freely during the press conference of his films Taxiwala and Liger. Vijay then put up his feet on a table and said ‘let’s talk freely.’ However, Vijay was talking in a relaxed manner and everyone present there laughed at it, but some netizens started calling him a person with an attitude problem. Vijay took to Twitter to give a reply to the controversy. He tweeted,
Anybody trying to grow in their field. Will Always have a Target on their back – But we fightback 🙂 And when you are honest, yourself and want the best for everyone – The love of people and God will protect you.”
- 2015: Nandi Award for the Telugu film Yevade Subramanyam under the Special Jury Award category
- 2018: Filmfare Awards South for Best Actor for the Telugu film Arjun Reddy
- 2019: South Indian International Movie Award for Best Actor (Critics) for the Telugu film Geetha Govindam
- 2019: Zee Cine Awards Telugu for Favourite Actor for the Telugu film Geetha Govindam
- Ford Mustang
- Mercedes Benz GLC Class
- Range Rover
He owns a bungalow in Hyderabad.
As of 2022, he charges Rs 20 to 25 crore per film.
His net worth is around Rs 39 crore (as of 2022).
- Actor(s): Pawan Kalyan, Mahesh Babu, Ranbir Kapoor, Denzel Washington, Meryl Streep
- Film(s): The Godfather (1972), Schindler’s List (1993)
- Food: Hyderabadi Dum Biryani, Mango
- Author: Konstantin Sergeievich Stanislavski
- Holiday Destination: Kerala
- Since childhood, he has a keen interest in singing. He has sung the song ‘What The Life’ in the 2018 Telugu film ‘Geetha Govindam.’
- In an interview, Vijay shared that till the age of 18, he was very shy and could not even look into the eyes of women.
- In his teens, Vijay’s parents used to call him Rowdy whenever he used to disagree with what they said.
- During an interview, he shared that his father wanted to become an actor, his father even did an acting course, and then he realised that he was camera shy. Vijay further said,
We come from a family of farmers in Achampet (Mehboobnagar). My father came to Hyderabad to become an actor, took an acting course and realised he was camera conscious. He felt he’d be a better director but getting a breakthrough was a nightmare. Satellite channels were opening up and he ventured into television series. There wasn’t much money and scripts weren’t exciting. A few production houses asked dad to direct for them. He comes from a ‘dora’ mindset of not wanting to work for others. So he got real estate people from the village to invest. They did it just to see their names on TV. But they backed out when payments were delayed. Then dad worked on ad films for the government and it kept us going. Dad is my staunch supporter. He is so happy for me today.”
- Vijay developed an interest in acting during his college days. He used to participate in college theatre plays. His first theatre play was ‘Sherlock Holmes’ in which he played the titular role. After completing his graduation, he joined a theatre group ‘Sutradhar.’
- In an interview, Vijay shared that he had struggled a lot to get his first acting project. He shared that in his initial struggling days, he did not have even Rs 500 balance in his bank account, and his account was blocked for not maintaining the required minimum balance. In one of his social media posts, he wrote,
I was 25. Andhra Bank lo 500 Rs. min balance maintain cheyakapothe lock chesinru account. Dad said settle before 30 – That way you can enjoy your success when you are young and parents are healthy.”
- In 2018, he gained immense fame with the Telugu film ‘Arjun Reddy’ which was later remade in other languages i. e. ‘Kabir Singh’ (2019; Hindi) and ‘Adithya Varma’ (2019; Tamil). He won a Filmfare Award South for the film, which he sold for an auction for Rs 25 lakh and donated the money to the CM Relief Fund. During an interview while talking about the film, he said that he was so involved in the acting process of the film that he actually peed in his pants for a scene in the film.
- Vijay was listed in the 4th rank by the Times 50 Most Desirable Men in 2018, and within 2 years, he topped the list of The Times 50 Most Desirable Men.
- In 2018, Vijay started a clothing brand Rowdy which was sold exclusively on the Rowdy website. Later, he collaborated with Myntra to launch his brand. He is the first Tollywood actor to have an apparel line.
- In 2019, Google listed him as the most searched celebrity of the year in India.
- Vijay Deverakonda is the first Telugu actor to cross 5 million followers on Instagram.
- In 2021, he started a multiplex cinema ‘Asian Vijay Deverakonda (AVD) Cinemas in Mahbubnagar, Telangana.
- In an interview, when he was asked whether he works for money or passion. He said,
Now I work only if the content stimulates me and excites me. I’ve done lots of things for money in the past. There were movies that I did for money. There were small gigs where I had to make some sort of appearance. There’s a music video I did purely because I was planning to buy a house and I fell short of money. There was a time when I hustled and did anything that gave me Rs 10,000 and above. I was ready to do it because it was a necessity. Now money doesn’t excite me. It’s still important because I need to be paid for what I do. I know what I deserve and only if that is paid will I work. But it’s not a factor in decision making. Even if you show me obscene amounts of money I will not do something I don’t like.”
- Vijay is an avid animal lover and has two pet dogs named Storm Deverakonda and Chester. He often shares pictures with his pet dogs on his Instagram account.
- He has featured in TV commercials for various brands like Myntra, Thums Up, and Zomato.
- He is often spotted drinking alcohol at parties and events.
- During an interview, Vijay shared an interesting fact, he said that to see the audience’s reaction to his films, he wears a burqa to hide his identity and watches films in theatres with the public. He said,
Sometimes, what I do is I wear a burqa and go into theatres and sit amongst the audience and watch (my films). If you see a burqa-clad tall person around you, it could probably be me.”
- Vijay follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- In an interview, Vijay shared that for the 2017 film ‘Arjun Reddy,’ he had to smoke cigarettes in the film. For a short period of time, he got habitual of it, but later, he quit smoking.
- Vijay Deverakonda is an avid sports lover and loves to play volleyball, badminton, and cricket.